Austrian bass clarinettist, saxophonist and drummer Christoph Pepe Auer is enjoying resounding success in his home country following the release of his latest record “Songs I Like” as well as his engagement as the soloist of the Jazz Big Band Graz and his adventures with “Living Room”, his duo featuring Manu Delago.
Electronic elements, combined with multi-instrumentality – On “Songs I like”, one surprise follows the other. Unusual instruments like his self-invented “Pepephon”, a hurdy-gurdy and a variety of toys that serve in the production of yet unheard sounds are combined with an impressive collection of woodwinds, while Auer himself has specialised in his very own, profound interpretation of the bass clarinet: It’s the sidetones most of all that make his sound unique. Using his clarinet as percussion, Auer empathically leads his audience to his instruments’ limits. For this innovative approach he has been awarded the Austrian Hans-Koller Award three times.
His album “Songs I Like” is a distinct mixture of Jazz, World Music and Electronica, consisting of both, own compositions and covers – but it’s never so easy, even for keen experts, to recognise the original behind it. On this record you’ll find a Nirvana hit and a Pop song composed by Prince next to a segment of Schubert’s “Winterreise”. Sounds like a funky mix? It is. But it’s as cohesive as a concept album can be.
Quietly, tenderly, carefully and sensually it captures its audience. And all of a sudden you catch yourself longing to listen to even Auer’s most peculiar interpretation of a 90’s Dance Hit again and again and again…
Multiple winner of the Hans Koller Award
‘Newcomer of the Year’ & ‘New York scholarship
Worked with Joseph Bowie * Vienna Art Orchestra
* Ari Hoenig
* Tyshawn Sorey (Steve Coleman)
* Ziv Ravitz (Lee Konitz)
* Adam Holzman (Miles Davis)
* Stuart McCallum (Cinematic Orch.)
* Peter Wiegold
* Jazzwerkstatt Wien&Graz
* Tonkünstler-Orchester Niederösterreich * Grazer Philharmonisches Orchester
Played concerts at: The Jazz Standard NYC
* Jazzbaltica Festival mit 3Sat TV Übertragung
* Night of Virtuosos auf Réunion Islands/Mauritius u.a. mit Renaud * Garcia-Fons*
* Joe´s Pub NYC
* Jazzfestival Berlin, Rom, Peking, Trieste, Amsterdam, London, Belgrad, Kavala, Warschau, Lodz, Jazzbaltica, Varna, Wiesen, Istanbul, Krakau, Sounding Jerusalem, Vortex London, Porgy&Bess Vienna, Moods Zürich